The Astonishing life of Octavian Nothing


There's more to the title than that, but I'll have to fill it in later
(toddler's patience is wearing thin). I found this to be a very
interesting book, albeit one that wasn't so interesting that I finished
it. It masterfully creates a character that is unlike one I have read
before: a boy is basically a racialexperiment for a house full of bizarre scientists. The period language alone is quite extravagant
. The racial tensions might be over children's heads, but really I
don't know if this is an entirely appropriate book for children anyway.
Not that it matters, since I'm trying to review this for an adult
audience; nevertheless, I had trouble finishing the book. Great piece
of historical fiction, and deeply disturbing, as much of our past is.

Author: M.T. Anderson

No comments: